Museum of Contemporary Art
The building of the Museum of Contemporary Art, as one of most monumental in Skopje, was designed (Czech architect Viktor J. Hudak) and constructed in the course of 1930 - 1938. The object is conceived in modern architectural language for that time, with specific massive and playful dimensions and clear façade elements in the shape of a pentagon with an inner court.
The building is in use since 1939 as Museum of the Vardar Banovina of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, when part of the modern painting collection of prince Pavle was stored in it.
After the liberation of Skopje in 1944 the museum building is renamed as Art Museum of the People Republic of Macedonia.
The earthquake that Skopje experienced in 1963 significantly damaged the Museum building. Works for its repair and reconstruction were undertaken. In this year the museum is renamed to Museum of Contemporary Art and the collection was significantly enriched with presents from artist from all over the world.. The fund of donated works has exceeded 4000 art works by around thousand artists from all over the world
The museum has several exhibition rooms, a big exhibition hall, drawing and print cabinets, depots, library, offices etc.